Featured Posts

1 2 3 4 5

Sunday 14 April 2013

Short Story: Destroy Me by Tahereh Mafi


Short Story Saturday was created by 365 Days of Reading. Because I post my hauls on Saturdays, I shall be posting any Short Story reviews on Sundays! I won't have a SSS up every single Sunday.


ebook
103 pages
Published October 2nd 2012 
Harper

Perfect for the fans of Shatter Me who are desperately awaiting the release of Unravel Me, this novella-length digital original will bridge the gap between these two novels from the perspective of the villain we all love to hate, Warner, the ruthless leader of Sector 45.
In Tahereh Mafi’s Shatter Me, Juliette escaped from The Reestablishment by seducing Warner—and then putting a bullet in his shoulder. But as she’ll learn in Destroy Me, Warner is not that easy to get rid of. . .
Back at the base and recovering from his near-fatal wound, Warner must do everything in his power to keep his soldiers in check and suppress any mention of a rebellion in the sector. Still as obsessed with Juliette as ever, his first priority is to find her, bring her back, and dispose of Adam and Kenji, the two traitors who helped her escape. But when Warner’s father, The Supreme Commander of The Reestablishment, arrives to correct his son’s mistakes, it’s clear that he has much different plans for Juliette. Plans Warner simply cannot allow.
Set after Shatter Me and before its forthcoming sequel, Unravel Me,Destroy Me is a novella told from the perspective of Warner, the ruthless leader of Sector 45.


This novella does not help my case in trying to convince myself that I hate Warner... Ladies and gentlemen, it is true. Warner has wormed his way into my heart and there he will stay for the next little while.. Huh. Who would've thought.

Destroy Me gives the reader a fantastic insight into Warner's mind. We get to see all of his analytical thoughts, the way he sorts everything in his brain. We get to witness his weak moments that break my heart, his moments of as much sympathy as he can muster... Warner was put in a new light for me.

I loved reading Tahereh's writing in someone's POV other than Juliette. It was so different and yet I still sensed her style. I was engrossed in the story until the very end and I didn't want it to stop. I want to read more from Warner's perspective! He is so interesting and so mysterious and I can't help but want to know more about this character I used to despise. We learn more about his family, see some of his father, learn about what Warner does for work.. We get to see his world and why he is this ruthless leader. His thoughts and the things he thinks but doesn't believe them to be wrong or inappropriate... And of course, if you've read Unravel Me, you'll know that it was kind of cool seeing what else he can do.

Destroy Me made me just so much more excited for the finale of this beautiful trilogy. It made me fall in love with Tahereh Mafi's writing again and I was so glad I got to see what goes on in the head of Warner.


Happy reading!
~Kristy

1 comment:

  1. OMG I also used to HATE Warner, like, SO MUCH, but I need to read Destroy Me soon, because he might make me love him! I think I like him even more now that I read Unravel Me. It sounds like Taherah's writing is beautiful inside and out, no matter what POV we're reading in! But Warner's sounds like a refreshing point of view and now I REALLY want to read this one.

    Great review, I'm glad you loved this one!

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! I appreciate every single comment I get! I will try as hard as I can to remember to stop by your blog and return the favour! (I'm so sorry if I forget, I have an awful memory!)

As of now, A Little Shelf of Heaven is an award-free blog! I really appreciate them, so so much, but I just don't have the time to pass them along to other blogs!

Thanks for stopping by! <3

©A Little Shelf of Heaven
Design by Seo Evie. Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...