Featured Posts

1 2 3 4 5

Friday 22 March 2013

TGIF: Reviewing Classics


Hey everyone! It's time for another episode of: KRISTY'S BLOGGING FEARS!!!! Today I wanted to talk about something that I've been pondering for a while now: Would you be interested in reading reviews of 'classics'? Books by Jane Austen and  books like The Secret Garden and Little Women, as well as modern classics like To Kill a Mockingbird and The Catcher in the Rye are all books that I love reading and there are so many more classic novels that I own and want to read. But I'm putting it off because I know I don't have a lot of scheduled reviews of YA novels for the blog and I want to keep up with my YA TBR so as to not let the blog go for too long without a review. BUT I WANT TO READ THESE BOOKS!

So my big question is:

Would you be interested in me reviewing classics on A Little Shelf of Heaven?

I understand that ultimately, it is my choice, but I want to know what my followers think! Would these reviews be well received or just go ignored?

One thing I'm worried about is the fact that they are books that everyone seems to have read. I know not everyone has read them all, but I'm scared that these are reviews that are just going to go unnoticed. I know that no blog post is a waste of time because it means I'm writing and writing is important. But there's a vain little part of me that thinks if no one will read this, then why bother?

Well, I'll answer that myself. I should bother because these books ARE classics. They're the books that are "Great Literature". I feel so embarrassed that I haven't read The Catcher in the Rye or Sense and Sensibility yet, because those are two books that are just so CLASSIC, you know?

I think I'm just starting to ramble now and I don't really know what else to say. I want to read these books, and I will, eventually. But I want to read them NOW. I just don't have the time if they're not going to be reviewed. I think unless everyone starts saying NO NO I DON'T WANT YOU TO REVIEW THESE BOOKS, I will start reviewing them, but I wanted to get your opinions. What you guys think is important to me and I want to know!

So please let me know! Comment below or tweet me what you think about this. I know some bloggers review every single book they read and others only review certain. I usually just review YA, and not adult novels or the rare middle grade book I read. But I adore reading classics and I used to read many more, before I started blogging. Pride and Prejudice is still one of my favourites and I adore  Sherlock Holmes (YES I consider that a classic, even though the stories aren't just one stand-alone novel). I want to expand my reading and see what it is about these books that make them classics. I want to talk about what I think of them and more importantly, I want to tell the people that care about books. Not just me going off and rambling to my friends who couldn't care less what I thought of The Picture of Dorian Gray.

Again, I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Happy reading!
~Kristy

3 comments:

  1. +JMJ+

    Hi, Kristy! I'm probably not typical of your Followers, but I almost always wait until I've read a book before I read reviews of it. Even reviews that are relatively "spoiler free" are still spoilerish to me. So reviews of classics, a good number of which I've read, would appeal to me very much. Not only would I read them, but I'd also have something to add to a discussion!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Kristy! :) I would definitely LOVE to see some classics on here, I've been toying with the idea of feature like that on my own blog, only I was thinking more of a classics of Sci Fi, Horror and Fantasy (Philip K.Dick, Stocker, Shelley, etc), but I'd love to see you review any classics, really! Maybe we should do a feature together :D Either way, I hope you'll go for it, it's a great idea and it would broaden your audience, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kristy! I was just thinking there is no where near enough classic reviews out there (minus the analytically ones of course). I adore classics and in order to fit them in on my blog I do a classic of the month so that they're not lost among all the YA I read. I hope you do it as I don't see enough young people reading classics nowadays. And if you need recommendations you could have votes on your blog then you wil know which your audience are interested in.

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! I appreciate every single comment I get! I will try as hard as I can to remember to stop by your blog and return the favour! (I'm so sorry if I forget, I have an awful memory!)

As of now, A Little Shelf of Heaven is an award-free blog! I really appreciate them, so so much, but I just don't have the time to pass them along to other blogs!

Thanks for stopping by! <3

©A Little Shelf of Heaven
Design by Seo Evie. Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...