Featured Posts

1 2 3 4 5

Wednesday 11 July 2012

Review: Rules of Attraction by Simone Elkeles

Author: Simone Elkeles
Publisher: Walker Books
Page Count: 324 pages, Paperback
Date Published: 2011 (first published April 13th 2010)
Find it on Goodreads: Rules of Attraction
Source: Purchased



When Carlos Fuentes returns to America after living in Mexico for a year, he doesn’t want any part of the life his older brother, Alex, has laid out for him at a high school in Colorado . Carlos likes living his life on the edge and wants to carve his own path—just like Alex did. Then he meets Kiara Westford. She doesn’t talk much and is completely intimidated by Carlos’ wild ways. As they get to know one another, Carlos assumes Kiara thinks she’s too good for him, and refuses to admit that she might be getting to him. But he soon realizes that being himself is exactly what Kiara needs right now.





 My Thoughts: SO AMAZINGLY GOOD. 

The follow up to Perfect Chemistry could not have been more perfect. (*cringes* I know, I hate me too...) I absolutely loved the first book in the dramatic, extremely romantic contemporary series and I was hesitant of picking this one up. I wanted more of Alex and Brittany... I couldn't care less about Alex's brothers! Boy was I ever wrong! Rules of Attraction was amazing. I've been reading so many books that in the end had me shrug and say "meh, it was alright," so it was such a delight to read this and adore it. It was another one that I took the beach with me and it was perfect for that. 

Simone Elkeles sure knows how to write her romance. Carlos and Kiara are one of my favorite couples I've read about in a while! Carlos is cocky, a bit of a jerk, and a total rebel. The ultimate bad boy. Then there's Kiara who comes from the perfect family, has excellent grades, and a stutter. They were kind of complete opposites. But this author does the expression "opposites attract" all too well. The relationship between Carlos and Kiara was definitely reminiscent of Brittany's and Alex's, whom we get glimpses of as well. I actually preferred Carlos and Kiara to the older couple's story. There was still quite a bit of gang involvement in it, but not as much as the first book. There was a lot of humor and plenty of steamy moments that had me blushing. Plus, I adored Kiara's family. The Westfords were the most perfect family in modern literature. I thought their relationship with Carlos was so nice and it made me smile every time Carlos would interact with Kiara's little brother. It showed such a great side to the tough guy image he came across as. I didn't like Carlos in the beginning, but in the end, yeah. I liked him. 


Elkeles still has this way of writing that makes you immersed in the story. I couldn't put this book down. It is filled with romance, humor, family, gang-related action, Mexican culture, and cars. I thought the fact that we see into Alex's and Brittany's college lives was so neat, so it really did feel connected to Perfect Chemistry, and it wasn't just a stand-alone novel. They had their own issues and Carlos helps them through their rough patches, too. Yes, the ending was kind of predictable, and yet it so wasn't. I knew what was going to happen in the epilogue, and yet I had no idea what would happen in the final chapters. These books keep you guessing, filled with anticipation. I thought all of the characters were wonderful and felt connected to so many of them. The gang activity in the book felt once again all too realistic and that made it very interesting to read. 


If you haven't read Perfect Chemistry, I'd suggest doing that now! I suppose you don't need to read the first book to read this one, but it would be better if you did. If you enjoy books filled with action and suspense, sweet and steamy romance, plus lots of family, hilarious humor, and a bit of Spanish, this amazing trilogy would be highly recommended. They're perfect for summer time, or really any season!


Happy reading!
~Kristy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! I appreciate every single comment I get! I will try as hard as I can to remember to stop by your blog and return the favour! (I'm so sorry if I forget, I have an awful memory!)

As of now, A Little Shelf of Heaven is an award-free blog! I really appreciate them, so so much, but I just don't have the time to pass them along to other blogs!

Thanks for stopping by! <3

©A Little Shelf of Heaven
Design by Seo Evie. Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...