Featured Posts

1 2 3 4 5

Wednesday 6 June 2012

Why I Re-Read Books (The Perks)

Yesterday's Top Ten Tuesday topic that I chose got me thinking about all the books I've read in the past bit and whether or not I'll ever reread them. There are quite a few from this year, that yes. I will read again. But some just aren't likely. Before I started this blog in January, I read my books over and over again. It was actually rare that I'd pick up just a random book from the store. I had to know there would be a strong chance I would like it and want to read it over and over. This year, I've discovered many extremely amazing new books. But, I've only reread a few. I read the Hunger Games Trilogy again before the movie came out. I read the third Harry Potter, because that series helps me get through anything. I think there were a few others, but that's it.

Now, I'm guessing you're probably wondering what the point to this is. (Honestly, I am too.) One of the main questions I get asked by friends is why do I read so much. Then, if it's a book I've read before, they ask: Why do you read your books multiple times?  Here's what I tell them. Every time you pick up a book, you learn something new. That is not an original revelation, I know. It's just fact. But I find, that every time I reread a book, I learn twice as much as I learned the first time. I understand the story better, I pick out stuff I like and didn't like easier and I have a deeper appreciation for the author's work. I fall in love with the book all over again.

Yesterday, after I published my TTT at midnight, I went to bed. When I woke up, I got ready for school, grabbed a book off my shelf, and went to eat breakfast. That book was The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky. If you didn't know, the book is being made into a movie and it will be released in September. The trailer was released earlier this week and it looks incredible. Seeing all the pictures and GIFs about it made me want to reread the book so badly that I couldn't resist. I remember the first time I read the book. I was around ten or eleven years old and had borrowed it from the library under a friend's recommendation. (I will say that I have always been a mature reader...) So I read it,  I really liked it. I read it again when I was twelve and I liked it a little more. So, yesterday, I read it all in one sitting and fell in love with it. This book is a perfect example as to why I love rereading books. Yes, I really liked it the first two times I read it. But did I really understand it? No. This time 'round I got so much more out of it and appreciated it a million times more. I related to Charlie on a whole new level, with my mind going in and out of the writing, entranced by the whole story.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I would never have found that deep love I have for this book now, had I only read it once, when I didn't understand everything the book portrayed. That, my friends, is why I reread books. To learn more from them and about them, whilst having fun. The Perks has never been a book I remembered very easily, other than the fact that it was good. But now,  I will put it at the top of every 'favorites' list I will ever make. Because, it is one of those books that will change your perspective on everything, even just for a moment. When a book can do that, I know it's  special. So, my main point on this I guess was that if you've got the time, pick up a book you haven't read in a while, that you remember enjoying and read it again. See if you fall in love with it. Or maybe you'll realize that it's not as great as before. Who knows. But the second thing is, if you have not read The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky... Please, go read it. I can assure you, you won't regret it.


That's all I've got for this sorta random post! Have a great day/night!
-Kristy

(P.S.

The Perks Trailer)

1 comment:

  1. I was thinking about re-reading this book to, since the movie was coming out this year. As corny as it may sound, I'm really excited to hear Emma Watson American accent. Nice review.

    Check me out at:
    http://theyoungbookcollector.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! I appreciate every single comment I get! I will try as hard as I can to remember to stop by your blog and return the favour! (I'm so sorry if I forget, I have an awful memory!)

As of now, A Little Shelf of Heaven is an award-free blog! I really appreciate them, so so much, but I just don't have the time to pass them along to other blogs!

Thanks for stopping by! <3

©A Little Shelf of Heaven
Design by Seo Evie. Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...